The student volunteer program at Southlake is very competitive. Successful candidates must demonstrate excellent customer service skills and commitment, and be able to maintain a very high attendance rate even during exam and holiday periods. Volunteers are required to maintain a minimum attendance rate of 75%. There are two types of student volunteers; Year Round and Summer students.
Why volunteer at Southlake Regional Health Centre?
- To explore career options.
- Develop new skills and abilities.
- Meet new people.
- Help your community and impact the lives of others.
- Develop leadership skills through student volunteer leadership roles.
- Opportunity to apply for a scholarship upon completing 150 hours of service and mimimum attendance rate of 75% and on condition of being accepted to college or university health-related program.
Year Round Student Volunteer Program
(High School, College, and University students)
High School Volunteer Program is FULL
- Must be 16 years of age or older
- Must be able to commit to one 3 to 4 hour shift on the same day and time each week for a minimum of 75 hours
- No forms or references will be completed prior to completion of 75 hours
- Students who are under 18 will need to complete a 75 hour placement and maintain a 90% attendance rate before being considered for a volunteer position in the Emergency or ICU / CVICU departments.
- Students who are under 18 must have successfully completed NLS Lifeguard training in order to volunteer in the Whipper Watson Therapeutic Pool.
2014 University / College Summer Student Program - PROGRAM FULL !
Summer Students have various opportunities to volunteer their time in one or two positions across the Southlake Regional Health Centre Campus: Hospital, Cancer Centre and Southlake Village.
Students must be able to commit to the same 3 - 4 hour shift twice a week.
Must complete a 60 hour placement during June 1st - August 31, 2014
** WE ARE NO LONGER ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS FOR THE 2014 SUMMER STUDENT PROGRAM **
Important Dates to Remember - Summer 2014 - *New Dates*
Attend any genereal volunteer information session before April 15th or attend our Summer Student Information session on April 19th from 10:30am - 11:30am
or May 5th from 2:00pm - 3:00pm
. To sign up, please call 905-895-4521 ext 2104 or email email@example.com
. Please meet at the Community Resources Department in the main building on level 1. Bring your parking ticket and we will validate at the end of the session.