A Leader in Cardiac Health Care
• First hospital in the world to fit a patient with a vision 3D wireless defibrillator. We were also the first to use Cartosound intracardiac ultrasound, which improves mapping and accuracy through real-time, 3D technology.
• First of three centres worldwide to perform ablation therapy using complex atrial fractionated electrograms, which helps improve outcomes for patients with persistent atrial fibrillation.
• Our cardiac team was the first in the world to use Stereotaxis Odyssey technology, which enables procedures to be broadcast live on the web.
• First centre in North America to use contact technology to improve accuracy for predictable ablation lesions.
• First in Canada to implant the first fully remote implantable cardioverter-defibrillator and to implant a defibrillator with remote follow-up capability.
• We have had pivotal studies published in the New England Journal of Medicine on approaches to treating atrial fibrillation and on a comparison of treatment approaches for STEMI patients with coronary stenting.
• The first centre in North America to study the use of Ticagrelor given in the ambulance for heart attack patients.
• The only centre in Ontario to participate in a study of intravenous clot busters in ambulance compared to angioplasty for heart attack patients.
Southlake Regional Health Centre is also one of 10 hospitals in Canada performing transcatheter aortic valve implantations (TAVI). Our team has embraced continuous quality improvement, offering conscious sedation and rapid recovery for this population of patients, and in doing so, average length of stay (LOS) has been reduced to less than 48 hours.
Southlake Regional Health Centre has a demonstrated commitment to patient quality. The Regional Cardiac Care Program has an established Quality Utilization Committee, all sub-specialty programs have Clinical Services Teams, morbidity and mortality review processes, a process for reviewing critical incidents, and learning directed program changes.
Click here to discover a timeline chart outlining key milestones in Southlake's cardiac innovation journey
Check here for Cardiac Surgery