Each medication has its own purpose and works differently in the body. Individual medication information sheets
are available for each drug. Ask our team or your pharmacist if you need more information.
Understand your prescription
- It is important
that you follow your doctor’s instructions in taking your medications.
Keep a list of your medications
Keep an updated list of all the medications you are taking and take it to all medical appointments. The list should include:
the name of the medication
- the dose
- how often you take it
To be Consistent
Take your medications even when you are feeling well, as this
indicates the medication is working.
• Keep medications in a cool dry place.
• Medications that have to be protected
from light are put in amber containers
by the pharmacist.
• If asked,
pharmacists will put snap-off lids on bottles. The law governs that they use childproof
lids unless other types are requested.
• Ask your pharmacy to dispose of unused medication for you.
Medications and your local pharmacy
• Your local pharmacy is an excellent
source of information that can help you manage all prescriptions and other drugs.
• It is important to use ONE pharmacy to ensure your safety as certain
drugs interact poorly with one another.
• Ask your pharmacist before taking over-the-counter drugs so he or she can review your prescriptions and make sure it is safe for you to combine the medications.
• Check with your doctor or pharmacist about alcohol consumption as it could affect the potency of your medications.
double up your medication if you miss a dose. If you take it once a day and you missed taking it in the morning, you can take it in the evening. But if you take it more than once a day, take the next regular dose at its scheduled time.
If missing medication is a problem, use a
dose box that you prepare once a week and keep it in a place where you will be sure to see it, or speak with your pharmacist about blister packs for your medication.
Home page for Introduction to Cardiovascular Prevention and Rehabilitation