Brief Therapy Clinic
The Brief Therapy Clinic is an out-patient mental health service for adults
18 years of age who have been diagnosed with and are experiencing serious
mental health difficulties.
The Clinic provides individual and group counselling using a skills training
approach. Within an 8-12 session time-frame clients are assisted in developing
coping skills that will improve their quality of life and ability to function in
a meaningful way. This Clinic is an integral part of the continuum of care in
the Department of Psychiatry as it provides follow-up counselling from all
other Adult Mental Health services including the Inpatient Unit, the Wellness
and Recovery Program, and the Urgent Clinic.
- Clients must be 18 years of age or older
- Clients must have a psychiatric diagnosis
according to the DSM-IV TR
- Clients must have a medical doctor providing
This Program is not
- Client exhibits psychotic symptoms
- Client has a recent history of violence and/or
- Client is currently involved in litigation or
criminal legal proceedings
- Client has a primary diagnosis of
Alcohol/Substance Abuse, Schizophrenia, Dementia, or Mental Retardation
- Client is in acute crisis or suicidal at time of
Referrals are accepted from Physicians, Psychiatrists,
and other Mental Health Services in the Department of Psychiatry by using an Adult Outpatient Referral Form.
Click here to download the Adult Outpatient Referral Form.
Once completed, all referrals are
processed by the Intake Coordinator and clients are contacted directly by a
Mental Health Therapist. For further information, call 905-895-4521, ext.