Frequently Asked Questions
Q: The primary goal of my project is to improve healthcare outcomes at Southlake. Is this considered research?
Q: Are there any minimum research ethics training requirements at Southlake Regional Health Centre?
Yes, Southlake Regional Health Centre has a policy for the ethical conduct of research that requires a Qualified or Prinicipal Investigator to provide proof of completion of one of the following courses:
- For Clinical Trial Research, the required certification is completion of the CITI – Canada Good Clinical Practice (GCP) Guidelines Course (see https://www.citiprogram.org/) or GCP Resfresher Course (as applicable). Equivalent certification programs with proof of a passing grade will be considered and may include:
- NIH Protecting Human Subject Research Participants online training
- NCIC Clinical Trials Group training
- Pfizer Canada Clinical Trial Certification
- For all other research (minimal risk research eligible for delegated [expedited] REB review), the required certification is completion of either:
- The Interagency Advisory Panel on Research Ethics (PRE) online tutorial: Tri-Council Policy Statement Guidelines (TCPSs); Course on Research Ethics (CORE) http://www.pre.ethics.gc.ca/eng/education/tutorial-didacticiel/
- Biomedical Research Ethics Training (CITI-Canada) http://www.citiprogram.org/