We are very excited to have you and your student group learning with the Southlake team! This page will provide you information regarding leading a student placement at Southlake.
FAQ for Instructors of Nursing Student Placements
Note: Failure to complete the process below and submit all of the required documents
will result in a delay in the placement
How do I register myself and my students?
- When? Before or on your first clinical day, or contact email@example.com to make alternate arrangements
- Where? Professional Practice located on Level 5 of the Village
- What? Please submit the following:
How do I arrange computer training for my students?
- Arrange a computer training date for your student group. To book a training date please contact firstname.lastname@example.org Please make e-doc training arrangements as soon as possible to prevent a delay in your group placement starting on the unit.
What are the expectations and responsibilities of Instructors of Student Groups?
What are the expectations and responsibilities of Instructors of Pregrad/Consolidation Students?
What orientation is available for Instructors?
- Strongly encouraged to review the material of the Welcome Students web page
- Invited to attend Southlake's corporate and interdisciplinary orientation.
- Southlake recommends Instructors be partnered with a peer Instructor familiar with Southlake during their first rotation here. Please request a “buddy” from the Placement Coordinator of your academic institution, as they are familiar with who has been to each hospital setting
- Instructors of groups are encouraged to arrange a shadow shift via the Nurse Educator (see Instructor Letter for contact info)
Are students expected to attend orientation?
Is there training for the lifts?
Is there a refrigerator and a locker?
Refrigerator space is at a premium. Units will do their best to accommodate.
Lockers are available on a limited basis. Please contact your Placement Coordinator for the list of available lockers at Southlake.
What is the process at Southlake for a student in crisis or who becomes ill?
Are off unit experiences organized through the educator of the unit we are on? If not, how does the Instructor organize these experiences for the students?
Do I have to book a room for a post-conference with the students?
What is a Role Observation Experience (ROE)?
The ROE is a formal opportunity for learners to:
- Learn about the roles of others on healthcare teams
- Recognize how stereotypes can impact patient care
- Apply learnings about interprofessional care
Who is eligible to participate in the ROE?
Learners are eligible to participate in the ROE if they:
- Have a clinical placement at Southlake for 3 weeks or greater, and,
- Have the approval of a preceptor or Faculty Instructor
Where do I find information about Parking?
- There are 2 public parking lots within a short walk of the Hospital located at 615 Davis Drive and 465 Davis Drive.
- More information on parking can be found on the Parking and Transit webpage.