Research Ethics Board
About the Research Ethics Board
The Research Ethics Board (REB) reviews all proposals for research at Southlake which must receive ethics approval before researchers can begin any study procedures or recruitment of participants at the Hospital.
In addition, researchers must request annual study approval renewal from the REB that involves submission of a detailed report on the status of the study.
The REB has the authority to stop a research study from continuing at Southlake.
REB research proposal reviews take into consideration:
- Respect for human dignity
- Respect for free and informed consent
- Respect for vulnerable persons
- Respect for privacy and confidentiality
- Respect for justice and inclusiveness
- Balancing harms and benefits
- Minimizing harms